Friday, January 7, 2011

The Eames Lounge

For any of you with an interest in design, you have at least heard of Eames.  Charles and Ray Eames are a couple of famous Mid-Century designers who's timeless design's are known world wide to even this day.  Perhaps one of there most notable furniture design's is the Eames Lounge.  Here is an example:
It is a cherished piece and sought by anyone who loves good design.  This design was so sought after in-fact that there we're many knock-offs produced, and while these knock offs may not be as high of quality, many are still very attractive and even some are considered to be more comfortable.

Once I got my new place and I found that I had a little space between my wall unit shelf and the opposing wall, I decided I had to make the most of it, something special had to go there.  I could not imagine that I could have something as nice as an Eames Lounge there, as the real thing costs over $4000!!!  But one day while looking for Mid-Century items on Craigslist I came across a knock off Eames Lounge in questionable condition for only $100 located in LA.  When I finally saw it in person, the wood appeared to be in pretty bad shape, and the leather, although OK, was not quite the color I wanted.  After a little haggling I got it down to $80 and loaded it in to my car.  I spent the next month or so disassembling, striping, and rebuilding the chair from the ground up.  This had to be done after I found there was water damage as well as mold eating away at the wood.  I did everything from reinforce parts with fiberglass, to filling parts with epoxy and bondo, stripping off the old veneer and putting a new veneer on, sandblasting the metal hardware, replacing all the screws and bolts, repainting it, and even making molds of the pipe ends to replace old or broken ones.  After the structure was complete, I reupholstered the whole thing with a charcoal gray upholstery fabric from Ikea "yes, even the fabric came from a couch cover in the Ikea As-Is section".

Now, with out further adieu, here is the before, process, and after.














No comments:

Post a Comment