Monday, April 4, 2011

Operation finish studio nearly complete!

When I moved in to my studio I planned out nearly every part of it.  I didn't plan out every exact detail, but I did come up with a basic blue print for where all the furniture, storage and art would go.  Since I moved in, I worked hard on fulfilling my grand scheme.  As of a couple of weeks ago, I counted about 7 or 8 more projects left for the interior.  In the past week or so, I hammered out 5 of these!  Half these projects were to just fill spaces that felt empty.  The first space I took care of was the corner by my front door.  A friend of mine gave me two masks to add to my collection, which fit nicely besides the two similar ones hiding behind the wood screen.


The next space I was able to tackle was the horizontal space above my closet doors.  I knew I wanted some sort of sculptural piece using materials in a more raw form, either be metal or wood.  I knew that once I saw the right material the sculpture would practically create it self.  A couple days ago I was asked to look at some material for a client of mine who had a source for old and reclaimed wood.  While I was looking at the amazing selection of wood saved from demolition projects, a couple turquoise painted trim pieces popped amongst all the pale and grey colors.  These pieces would make my next little art project.  All it took was some pocket screws, scraps of 1x3 wood, and some tools.


As you can see from the picture, I also got these awesome rusty cogs!




I was also happy to find something to put next to my fridge, an orange magnet board from Ikea as-is.


Now for the functional pieces I finished.  First there was the bed frame.  I knew I wanted to replace my box spring with a bed frame, but kept putting it off till I found the right thing to kick off the project.  As usual, I was able to find exactly what I needed in the Ikea As-Is section.  They had a three piece metal frame with with bent plywood supports.  The base frame was made from 2x3's, some plywood support corners, some finished feet from a builders surplus place, and some upholstered panels I made from some wood boards, foam, and fabric I had.  Everything came together great until I found it was 2 inches wider than expected and I had to unscrew my wood panel from the wall and move it over.



The second item I got was a medicine cabinet.  Since I planned out my entire place, I decided I wanted a green medicine cabinet to go above the toilet, something you might find at CB2.  Only this past weekend was I lucky to find something at the Ikea As-Is that would work.  It was a tall narrow stainless steel box missing its shelves. 


I gave it a light sanding, primed it in white, and painted it Krylon Ivy Leaf.  I was able to use some left over smoked plexiglass for the shelves.  I might add a door later on, but for now I'm very happy to have that project out of the way.




With all those items checked off my list, I just have to make a head and side board and some art work for a couple more empty spaces.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment