Monday, March 7, 2011

Did I mention I like chairs.

This past weekend project was aging and industrializing some metal work stools I picked up from our employee store for five bucks a piece. 
Sure, they were already old and kind of industrial, but they just weren't vintage cool enough.  I wanted to make them look like something you would find at Restoration Hardware.  All it took was some sand paper, Design Master Walnut Wood Toner, faux leather vinyl, a towel and a sewing machine.

I first dismantled the chairs and began scuffing and sanding the painted metal.


After I scuffed the metal I sprayed on the wood toner and brushed and blotted it with a towel.

Here's the result:

Once the metal was taken care of I moved on to the upholstery.






With the old vinyl stripped off I made a pattern on to the new material.



I first tried adding the pipping like they previously had on the seat cushion but gave up after one try.  I ended up just sewing a normal seam.


Here is how it looked after it was stretched over and stapled on.


The head rest was a little easier to deal with.

Now that everything's done, here is the before and after:

Before:



After:

Did I mention it was a beautiful day to work outside?



Now if I only knew what to do with these stools!

No comments:

Post a Comment